European Innovation Landscape and Women Innovators
This event aims to bring together the Japan-based community of innovators, individuals as well as institutions to help them discover opportunities in Europe, and cooperation opportunities with Europe.
It will provide information on strategies for fostering innovation both in the EU and Japan, and will give an overview of innovation landscapes. Latest developments, and future tools such as, on the EU side, the European Innovation Council; and on the Japanese side, the Moonshot project, will be presented. Possibilities for increased cooperation in the field of innovation, as well as services useful to innovators interested in Europe will be showcased.
Another focus of the event, and a cross-cutting priority of the EU, is gender equality in Research and Innovation. The Japanese and EU perspectives will be detailed, including a review of the latest statistics available at the EU level through the “She Figures 2018” study. The event will be closed by highlighting Japanese and European women in research and innovation careers via a panel discussion composed of researchers and corporate representatives.
The EU has developed a strategy called Innovation Union, which is one of the seven flagship initiatives of the Europe 2020 strategy for smart, sustainable and inclusive growth. It aims to make Europe into a world-class science performer, remove obstacles to innovation, and revolutionise the way public and private sectors work together. Japan’s Integrated Innovation Strategy proposes to break away from rigid socioeconomic structures and create a flexible and independent ‘society 5.0’, enabling seamless innovation from basic research to global markets.
This event aims to highlight the opportunities in further cooperation between the EU and Japan for individual innovators as well as for the private and public institutional actors of innovation. We expect attendance from public and private actors of innovation in Japan interested in Europe. Early career as well as established innovators and innovation managers are most welcome to participate.
14:00 – 14:15 Welcome addresses by organisers
- Mr. Francesco Fini, Minister, Deputy Head of the Delegation of the European Union to Japan
- Dr. Philippe de Taxis du Poët, General Manager, EU-Japan Centre for Industrial Cooperation, Minister Counsellor, Delegation of the EU to Japan
- Dr. Gediminas Ramanauskas, First Counsellor, Head of Science, Innovation, Digital, and Other EU Policies, Delegation of the EU to Japan
- Dr. Matthieu Py, EURAXESS Japan
14:15 – 14:30 Keynote speech:
Introduction of Horizon Europe and research collaboration between EU and Japan, Ms. Cristina Russo, Director for International Cooperation, Directorate-General for Research and Innovation, European Commission
14:30 – 15:50 The EU-Japan innovation landscape
- Major developments in 2019 in Japan: 6th S&T Basic Plan, the Moonshot project, new legislation and statistics – Mr. Fumikazu Sato, Councillor for Innovation Promotion; Deputy Director-General for Science, Technology and Innovation, Cabinet Office
- Industrial and innovation clusters, and the role and activities of EU-Japan Centre in promoting innovation and industrial cooperation – Dr. Philippe de Taxis du Poët, General Manager of the EU-Japan Centre for Industrial Cooperation
- EU-Japan Technology Transfer Helpdesk – Mr. Luca Escoffier
- EURAXESS role and activities fostering innovation in and with Europe – Dr. Matthieu Py, EURAXESS Japan
15:50 – 16:05 Coffee break
16:05 – 17:00 Women in science, research and innovation
- The Japanese perspective – Dr. Miyoko Watanabe, Deputy Executive Director, JST; Vice-President, Science Council of Japan
- EU policies and instruments to promote gender equality in research & innovation – Dr. Gediminas Ramanauskas, Delegation of the EU to Japan
- She Figures 2018 – Mr. Pierrick Fillon-Ashida, Japan Policy Officer, International Cooperation Directorate, DG Research and Innovation, European Commission.
17:00 – 18:00 Roundtable discussion: women in science and innovation
Moderator: Mr. Andrew Howitt, Editor-in-Chief, Eurobiz Japan
– Dr. Yuri Ono, General Manager, Planning and Administration Office, Research and Development Unit, Mitsubishi Research Institute Inc.
– Ms. Le Neillon-Quesseveur, Head of Lifecycle Management at Daimler Trucks Asia
– Ms. Yasuko Nagamatsu, Senior Project Leader, R&I Center, Nihon L’Oréal K.K.
– Dr. Takako Kimura, Senior Director, Advanced materials business unit, Air Liquide Japan
– Dr. Beate Heissig, Professor, Juntendo University
– Ms. Yukako Uchinaga, Board Chair, Japan Women’s Innovative Network (J-WIN)
18:00 – 18:05 Closing remarks
EU Delegation and EU-Japan Centre for Industrial Cooperation
18:00 – 19:30 Networking reception