The technology refers to biocompatible, biodegradable, non-toxic, and bioresorbable nanoparticles for the delivery of therapeutic or diagnostic compounds to the heart.
The nanoparticles are characterized by a particular affinity for cardiac cells and can be administered via enteral and parenteral routes.
Being able to encapsulate and/or conjugate one or more therapeutic/diagnostic compounds, the nanoparticles can be used in the pharmaceutical industry for the delivery of therapeutic and/or diagnostic compounds to the heart for the treatment of acute or chronic pathological conditions.
The product of the present invention is also versatile and considered as a platform to be potentially used in other medical fields.
- Self-assembling and low cost production;
- High biocompatibility, biodegradability and non-toxicity;
- Versatile platform capable of conveying different types of therapeutic and/or diagnostic compounds (eg. nucleic acids, peptides, chemical compounds);
- Particularly akin internalization in cardiac cells;
- Potentially applicable for any use to other cellular districts;
- Compatible with the use of the cell-specific targeting molecules;
Total cardiac selectivity, which the team is currently work on
Heart failure, cardiac arrhythmia, diabetic cardiomyopathy, myocardial infarction, cardiac disease in general